Are you burned out from not being able to scrape enough together to make your car insurance payment? You have the same problem as many other New Jersey drivers.
A recent NerdWallet.com study revealed that most car insurance policyholders in New Jersey have bought car insurance from the same company for over three years, and virtually 40% of consumers have never compared car insurance rates at all. U.S. drivers can save hundreds of dollars each year by just comparing quotes, but they just assume it takes a lot of time to go online and compare rates.
Companies like State Farm, Farmers Insurance, GEICO and Allstate promote their brand names with fancy advertisements and it is difficult to ignore the promise of big savings and take the time to shop coverage around.
It is always a good idea to check car insurance prices before your next renewal because rates are variable and change quite frequently. If you had the best premium rates on Lexus NX 200t insurance in Jersey City a few years ago you can probably find a lower rate today. You can find a lot of information about NX 200t insurance on the web, but in a few minutes you can learn some great ideas on how to buy car insurance cheaper in Jersey City.
Eight Things That Affect Your Insurance Premiums
The best way to find cheaper car insurance is to take a look at some of the factors that are used to determine the price you pay for car insurance. If you have some idea of what influences your rates, this helps enable you to make changes that will entitle you to cheaper rates. Many things are part of the calculation when quoting car insurance. Some factors are common sense like your driving record, but other factors are more obscure such as whether you are married or your vehicle rating.
- Having a spouse equates to better costs - Walking down the aisle helps lower the price when shopping for car insurance. It demonstrates that you tend to be more financially stable and statistics prove drivers who are married are more cautious.
- More traffic means higher claims - Living in small towns and rural areas can be a good thing when insuring your vehicles. Fewer drivers on the road means a lower chance of having an accident and lower theft and vandalism rates. City drivers have to deal with more road rage incidents and a longer drive to work. More time on the road translates into higher accident risk.
- Only buy extra coverages you need - Insurance policies have a lot of extra add-on coverages that can add up if you aren't diligent. Things like replacement cost coverage, better glass coverage, and term life insurance are some examples. You may think they are a good idea when you first buy your policy, but if you have no use for them eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
- Are women or men drivers cheaper? - The statistics show that females take fewer risks when driving. However, this does not mean females are better at driving than males. Both genders get in auto accidents in similar numbers, but the men get into accidents with more damage. Men also get more serious tickets such as reckless driving.
- Insurance rates are higher for high performance vehicles - The performance level of the car or truck you are trying to find cheaper insurance for makes a substantial difference in how high your rates are. Lower cost passenger models generally have the cheapest insurance rates, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
- Liability protection is peace of mind - The liability section of your policy will protect you if ever you are ruled to be at fault for physical damage or personal injury to other. This coverage provides for a legal defense to attempt to prove you were not liable. Liability insurance is pretty cheap compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so do not cut corners here.
- Prevent car insurance lapses - Having a gap between insurance policy dates is a quick way to trigger a rate increase. In addition to paying higher premiums, getting caught without coverage will get you fines and jail time. You may then have to file a SR-22 with the New Jersey department of motor vehicles.
- How your age affects rates - Youthful drivers in New Jersey are proven to be careless and easily distracted when driving and because of this, their car insurance rates are much higher. Adding a beginning driver onto your car insurance will cause a huge premium hike. Older, more experienced drivers tend to be more responsible, file fewer claims, and tend to be get fewer driving tickets.
Cheaper rates on Lexus NX 200t insurance in Jersey City with these auto insurance discounts
Some companies don't always publicize the complete list of policy discounts in a way that's easy to find, so here is a list both well-publicized and also the more inconspicuous credits that may apply to you.
- Low Mileage Discounts - Driving fewer miles may enable drivers to earn cheaper auto insurance rates.
- Defensive Driver - Taking part in a driver safety course is a good idea and can lower rates if you qualify.
- Senior Citizens - If you qualify as a senior citizen, you may be able to get a discount up to 10%.
- Jersey City Homeowners Discount - Owning your own home or condo can save you money since owning and maintaining a home requires personal responsibility.
- Accident Waiver - This one is not really a discount per se, but some companies like Progressive, State Farm and GEICO allow you one accident without getting socked with a rate hike so long as you are claim-free for a set time period.
Discounts reduce rates, but you should keep in mind that some credits don't apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only cut specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. If you do the math and it seems like you could get a free auto insurance policy, it's just not the way it works.
A partial list of companies that may have these money-saving discounts include:
When quoting, ask every prospective company which credits you are entitled to. Some discounts listed above may not be offered everywhere. To locate insurance companies who offer cheap Lexus NX 200t insurance quotes in Jersey City, click this link.
Jersey City auto insurance company ratings
Picking the right auto insurance company can be difficult considering how many choices you have in Jersey City. The company rank data listed below can help you pick which insurers to look at shopping your coverage with.
Top 10 Jersey City Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Claims Service
- Liberty Mutual
- State Farm
- 21st Century
- The Hartford
- Farmers Insurance
Cover all your bases
Discount Lexus NX 200t insurance in Jersey City can be purchased from both online companies and from local insurance agents, and you need to price shop both to have the best chance of lowering rates. A few companies do not provide online quoting and these smaller providers prefer to sell through independent insurance agents.
When you buy Jersey City car insurance online, it's a bad idea to buy poor coverage just to save money. Too many times, someone dropped comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to find out that the savings was not a smart move. Your goal is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the best cost, not the least amount of coverage.
How to find the cheapest rates for Lexus NX 200t insurance in Jersey City
If saving the most money is your goal, then the best way to get cheaper auto insurance rates is to compare quotes annually from insurers who provide car insurance in Jersey City. Drivers can shop around by completing these steps.
- First, get an understanding of how auto insurance works and the changes you can make to keep rates down. Many policy risk factors that are responsible for high rates like at-fault accidents and poor credit history can be improved by making lifestyle changes or driving safer.
- Second, quote rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can give quotes from one company like Progressive or Allstate, while agents who are independent can provide price quotes from multiple sources. Start a quote
- Third, compare the new rates to your existing coverage to see if you can save by switching companies. If you find a lower rate and make a switch, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
- Fourth, notify your company or agent of your intention to cancel your current policy. Submit the application along with any required down payment to your new company or agent. As soon as you have the new policy, keep the new certificate of insurance in an accessible location in your vehicle.
The key thing to remember is that you'll want to compare identical coverages on every quote request and and to get rate quotes from as many auto insurance providers as possible. This guarantees a fair rate comparison and maximum price selection.
Even more information is available in these articles:
- Vehicle Insurance (Wikipedia)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Postal Workers in Jersey City? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Jersey City Car Insurance Rates for College Students? (FAQ)
- Eight Auto Insurance Myths (Insurance Information Institute)
- Distracted Driving (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Determines the Price of My Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)