If your goal is the lowest price, then the best way to find low-cost car insurance rates in Jersey City is to compare quotes once a year from insurers in New Jersey.
Step 1: Spend some time learning about how companies set rates and the changes you can make to keep rates in check. Many factors that drive up the price such as traffic citations and an unacceptable credit score can be eliminated by making minor changes to your lifestyle.
Step 2: Compare rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only quote rates from one company like GEICO or Farmers Insurance, while independent agencies can give you price quotes from many different companies. View prices
Step 3: Compare the new quotes to the premium of your current policy to see if a cheaper rate is available in Jersey City. If you can save some money, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
Step 4: Provide notification to your current company to cancel the current policy and submit payment and a signed application to your new company or agent. As soon as you can, keep your new certificate of insurance in a readily accessible location in your vehicle.
The key thing to remember is to try to use the same physical damage deductibles and liability limits on every quote request and and to get rates from as many companies as you can. This helps ensure the most accurate price comparison and and a good selection of different prices.
Sadly, the vast majority of consumers in New Jersey have been with the same company for at least four years, and approximately 40% of consumers have never even compared quotes to find lower-cost rates. Many drivers in the U.S. could save roughly 47% every year just by comparing rates, but they don't know the large savings they would see if they swap their current policy for a cheaper one.
Do you qualify for discounts?
Insurance is easily one of your largest bills, but you might already qualify for some discounts that you may not know about. Many discounts should be triggered when you quote, but some discounts are required to be requested specifically prior to receiving the credit.
- Responsible Drivers - Insureds who avoid accidents could pay up to 40% less than their less cautious counterparts.
- College Student Discount - Any of your kids who attend college more than 100 miles from Jersey City and do not take a car to college can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount - Cars, trucks, and SUVs equipped with ABS or steering control are safer to drive and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Good Grades Discount - This discount may save you up to 25%. Many companies even apply the discount to college students well after school through age 25.
- Professional Memberships - Belonging to certain professional organizations may earn a discount on your bill.
- Military Discounts - Having an actively deployed family member could mean lower insurance rates.
- Anti-theft Discount - Vehicles that have factory anti-theft systems are stolen with less frequency and that can save you a little bit as well.
- Drivers Ed for Students - Reduce the cost of insurance for teen drivers by having them take driver's ed class in school.
- 55 and Retired - Drivers over the age of 55 can get a slight reduction on a Jersey City auto insurance quote.
Drivers should understand that some of the credits will not apply to the whole policy. Most only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as medical payments or collision. Just because you may think having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, you won't be that lucky.
The diagram below visualizes the comparison of Lexus IS 250 annual premium costs with and without discounts. The data is based on a male driver, a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, New Jersey state minimum liability limits, full coverage, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with marriage, multi-car, homeowner, multi-policy, claim-free, and safe-driver discounts applied.
Companies and their possible discounts are:
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including passive restraint, good student, Drive Safe & Save, Steer Clear safe driver discount, defensive driving training, and accident-free.
- Farmers Insurance may offer discounts for electronic funds transfer, teen driver, youthful driver, distant student, and switch companies.
- Progressive may include discounts for multi-policy, online quote discount, multi-vehicle, continuous coverage, online signing, homeowner, and good student.
- GEICO may have discounts that include federal employee, anti-lock brakes, anti-theft, driver training, and membership and employees.
- Auto-Owners Insurance includes discounts for teen driver, anti-lock brakes, good student, air bags, and anti-theft.
- The Hartford has savings for defensive driver, vehicle fuel type, bundle, anti-theft, good student, driver training, and air bag.
- Farm Bureau has discounts for good student, 55 and retired, renewal discount, youthful driver, safe driver, driver training, and multi-vehicle.
- USAA offers discounts for defensive driver, new vehicle, driver training, vehicle storage, and good student.
When comparing rates, check with every prospective company what discounts are available to you. All car insurance discounts might not be offered in your area.
How to shop Lexus IS 250 insurance online
Many insurance companies make it easy to get price estimates on their websites. Comparing prices online for Lexus IS 250 insurance in Jersey City is easy for anyone as all you need to do is type in your coverage preferences on the page. When the form is submitted, their system will obtain your credit score and driving record and returns a price. Getting online rate quotes for Lexus IS 250 insurance in Jersey City makes comparing rates easy, and it's very important to get many rate quotes in order to find a better rate.
To quickly use this form to compare rates, take a look at the companies shown below. To compare your current rates, we recommend you copy the coverage information identical to your current policy. Using the same limits helps guarantee you will have an apples-to-apples comparison based on similar coverages.
The following companies are ready to provide comparison quotes in New Jersey. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you visit two to three different companies in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Lexus IS 250 insurance rates and statistics
The table below highlights a range of insurance policy prices for Lexus IS 250 models. Being able to understand how policy premiums are established is important for drivers to make decisions on which coverage to buy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|IS 250 4-Dr Sedan||$360||$840||$384||$22||$114||$1,720||$143|
|IS 250 AWD 4-Dr||$400||$840||$384||$22||$114||$1,760||$147|
|IS 250 C 2-Dr Convertible||$400||$840||$452||$26||$136||$1,854||$155|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data assumes married female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and New Jersey minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, multi-vehicle, claim-free, multi-policy, and homeowner. Table data does not factor in vehicle location which can change auto insurance rates noticeably.
The example below shows how choosing a deductible and can affect Lexus IS 250 insurance costs for different categories of driver ages. The rate quotes are based on a married male driver, full coverage, and no other discounts are factored in.
Safe drivers pay less for car insurance
The illustration below illustrates how violations and at-fault collisions can impact Lexus IS 250 insurance prices for different age groups of insureds. The costs are based on a married male driver, comp and collision included, $1,000 deductibles, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Cost of full coverage in Jersey City
The example below visualizes the comparison of Lexus IS 250 auto insurance costs when comparing full coverage to state minimum liability only. The rates are based on no tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, single status, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Are you wasting money on full coverage?
There is no clear-cut rule for phasing out physical damage coverage on your policy, but there is a broad guideline. If the annual cost of having full coverage is more than around 10% of replacement cost minus your deductible, then it may be the right time to buy liability only.
For example, let's assume your Lexus IS 250 replacement value is $8,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, the most your company would pay you is $7,000 after the deductible is paid. If it's costing you more than $700 a year to have full coverage, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
There are some conditions where dropping full coverage is not in your best interest. If you still owe a portion of the original loan, you must maintain physical damage coverage in order to prevent your loan from defaulting. Also, if you don't have enough money to buy a different vehicle if your current one is in an accident, you should not buy liability only.
Six factors that impact insurance rates
Many different elements are considered when quoting car insurance. Some are obvious such as traffic violations, but others are not quite as obvious such as your credit history or how financially stable you are. Part of the auto insurance buying process is learning some of the elements that are used to determine your premiums. When consumers understand what influences your rates, this allows you to make educated decisions that will entitle you to cheaper rates.
- Where you live factors in - Choosing to live in less populated areas is a positive aspect when buying auto insurance. Drivers in populated areas have more auto accidents and much longer commute distances. Fewer drivers and short commutes translates into fewer accident claims and lower theft and vandalism rates.
- Deter car thieves - Owning a car with a theft deterrent system can earn a premium discount. Theft prevention features such as vehicle immobilizer systems, OnStar, and tracking devices like LoJack all hinder auto theft.
- Increase coverage deductibles and save - Insurance for physical damage to your car, also known as collision and other-than-collision, covers your vehicle from damage. Some examples of claims that would be covered would be a windshield shattered by a rock, damage from fire, and damage caused by flying debris. Deductibles for physical damage are how much the insured will be required to pay if you file a covered claim. The more money you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the bigger discount you will receive.
- Vehicles with better crash test results lower rates - Vehicles with good safety scores can get you lower premiums. Highly rated vehicles help reduce the chance of injuries in an accident and reduced instances of injuries translates directly to fewer claims which can result in lower premiums.
- Drivers with responsible credit save - Having a bad credit score can be an important factor in determining what you pay. Consumers who have high credit scores tend to be more responsible and file fewer claims as compared to drivers with worse credit. So if your credit history can be improved, you may save money insuring your Lexus IS 250 by taking the time to improve your credit score.
Performance influences premiums - The performance of the vehicle you need to insure makes a significant difference in your premium level. Low performance passenger vehicles receive the most favorable rates, but many other things help determine your insurance rates.
The chart below uses these variables: married male driver age 20, full coverage with $250 deductibles, and no discounts or violations. It illustrates Lexus IS 250 insurance premiums compared to other makes and models that have a range of risk factors.
Lexus IS 250 insurance loss probability - Insurers use past loss statistics for each vehicle when they file their rates in each state. Models that the data determines to have a higher amount or frequency of claims will have a higher cost to insure. The data below shows the collected loss data for Lexus IS 250 vehicles.
For each type of coverage, the claim amount for all vehicles, regardless of make, model or trim level, is equal to 100. Numbers under 100 suggest a better than average loss history, while values that are above 100 indicate higher probability of having a loss or an increased chance of larger losses than average.
Car Insurance Loss Data for Lexus IS 250 Models Vehicle Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Lexus IS 250 4dr 2WD 179 103 177 116 146 115 Lexus IS 250 4dr 4WD 177 87 186 118 Lexus IS 250 Convertible 135 80 84BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Don't assume everyone needs the same auto insurance coverage
When choosing insurance from an agent or online for your vehicles, there isn't really a one-size-fits-all type of policy. Your financial needs are unique.
Here are some questions about coverages that might help in determining whether you would benefit from an agent's advice.
- Does insurance cover tools stolen from my truck?
- Is pet coverage available?
- Should I put collision coverage on all my vehicles?
- Do I have coverage if I rent a car in Mexico?
- Should I carry comprehensive and collision coverage?
- What is glass protection for?
- Will I lose any money if I cancel my policy before it expires?
- Will my Lexus IS 250 be repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
If it's difficult to answer those questions, you may need to chat with a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form.
Insurance quotes from local neighborhood Jersey City car insurance agents
Some people would prefer to buy from a local agent and that is not a bad decision A nice benefit of comparing rates online is you may find the lowest rates and still choose a local agent. And buying from local insurance agents is especially important in Jersey City.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this simple form, the quote information is sent to companies in Jersey City who will give you bids for your coverage. You never need to leave your house since rate quotes are delivered to the email address you provide. It's the lowest rates AND an agent nearby. If you need to compare rates from one company in particular, you would need to jump over to their website and complete a quote there.
If you are wanting to purchase insurance from an insurance agent, it's helpful to know the types of agencies that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Insurance policy providers can be described as either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments.
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent insurance agents can sell policies from many different companies and that enables them to quote your coverage with a variety of different insurance companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If they quote lower rates, they simply switch companies in-house and you can keep the same agent. When comparing insurance prices, we highly recommend that you compare quotes from multiple independent agents to get the best comparison.
The following is a small list of independent agents in Jersey City that may be able to provide free price quotes.
1674 John F. Kennedy Blvd # A - Jersey City, NJ 07305 - (201) 434-4760 - View Map
243 Central Ave # 1 - Jersey City, NJ 07307 - (201) 721-6081 - View Map
582 West Side Ave - Jersey City, NJ 07304 - (201) 209-1306 - View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
These agents work for only one company such as AAA, Allstate, State Farm, or Farmers Insurance. Exclusive agencies are unable to shop your coverage around so they have to upsell other benefits. They are highly trained on what they offer which helps them compete with independent agents.
Listed below is a short list of exclusive agencies in Jersey City that are able to give price quotes.
Finding a good car insurance agent shouldn't rely on just a cheap price. Some important questions to ask are:
- Do they have designations such as AIC, CPCU, or CIC?
- Are they in the agency full-time?
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
- If your car is totaled, how to they determine the replacement cost?
- Will they take your side in the event of a claim?
- What are the financial ratings for the companies they represent?
- Is every driver in your family covered?
Once you have received good responses to any questions you may have and locked in a price quote, it's a good possibility that you have found an auto insurance agent that can be relied on to provide insurance coverage.
Why you need to buy insurance
Even though it's not necessarily cheap to insure a Lexus in Jersey City, paying for insurance is required in New Jersey but it also protects you in many ways.
- Just about all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means the state requires a specific level of liability insurance coverage in order to get the vehicle licensed. In New Jersey these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your Lexus IS 250, more than likely the lender will stipulate that you have comprehensive coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totaled. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the lender may insure your Lexus at a significantly higher premium and require you to pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects not only your Lexus IS 250 but also your assets. It will also reimburse you for hospital and medical expenses for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. Liability coverage also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit in the event you are sued. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance definitely exceed the cost, especially if you ever need it. An average driver in America overpays as much as $830 a year so shop around at every policy renewal to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Don't give up on affordable rates
We just covered some good ideas how to reduce Lexus IS 250 insurance car insurance rates online in Jersey City. The key concept to understand is the more times you quote, the higher your chance of finding low cost Jersey City auto insurance quotes. You may even discover the biggest savings come from some of the smallest insurance companies.
Insureds who switch companies do it for a number of reasons such as lack of trust in their agent, questionable increases in premium, high rates after DUI convictions or delays in paying claims. No matter why you want to switch, switching companies is not as difficult as it may seem.
More affordable insurance in Jersey City can be sourced from both online companies and from local agencies, and you should compare price quotes from both to get a complete price analysis. Some insurance companies don't offer online quoting and usually these regional carriers provide coverage only through independent agents.
More tips and info about insurance is located in these articles:
- What Does No-Fault Insurance Cover? (Allstate)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for Drivers Under 25 in Jersey City? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Jersey City Auto Insurance for Unemployed Drivers? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Electric Cars in Jersey City? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for Teenage Males in Jersey City? (FAQ)
- Teen Driving Statistics (GEICO)
- Rollover Crash FAQ (iihs.org)
- Car Insurance: When not to Skimp (BankRate.com)