It's an obvious conclusion that insurance companies want to keep you from comparing prices. Insureds who shop around for a cheaper policy are very likely to buy a different policy because the odds are good of finding lower prices. A recent auto insurance study discovered that drivers who regularly compared rates saved about $850 each year compared to people who didn't regularly shop around.
If finding budget-friendly rates on Saturn Astra insurance is your intention, then having a good understanding how to choose a company and compare insurance can make the process less intimidating.
The most effective way to save on car insurance rates in Jersey City is to start doing a yearly price comparison from different companies in New Jersey.
- Try to comprehend how auto insurance works and the things you can change to prevent rate increases. Many policy risk factors that result in higher rates like at-fault accidents, careless driving, and a negative credit history can be eliminated by making minor changes in your lifestyle.
- Quote rates from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give rate quotes from a single company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while independent agents can provide prices for many different companies.
- Compare the price quotes to the price on your current policy and see if there is a cheaper rate in Jersey City. If you find better rates and decide to switch, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
- Give notification to your current company of your decision to cancel your current car insurance policy and submit any necessary down payment along with the completed application for the new coverage. Immediately keep the new proof of insurance certificate in an easily accessible location in your vehicle.
A crucial key to this process is to compare identical limits and deductibles on each price quote and and to get rates from as many different insurance providers as possible. Doing this enables a fair rate comparison and maximum price selection.
Four Things That Affect Your Insurance Costs
The best way to find cheaper insurance is to take a look at the factors that go into determining insurance rates. If you have some idea of what influences your rates, this helps enable you to make changes that can help you get cheaper rates. Many different elements are used in the calculation when pricing auto insurance. Some are obvious such as your driving record, although some other factors are less apparent such as your marital status and annual miles driven.
Performance impacts insurance prices - The make and model of the vehicle you drive makes a big difference in determining your rates. Economy passenger cars normally have pretty low rates, but many other things help determine your insurance rates.
Urban residents pay more - Residing in a rural area may provide you with better prices if you are looking for the lowest rates. Fewer people means reduced accidents in addition to fewer liability claims. Urban drivers have much more traffic and longer commutes to work. More time on the road means higher likelihood of an accident.
Your stress level may be raising your rates - Did you know your insurance rates can be affected by your occupation? Jobs such as fire fighters, business owners, and accountants usually pay higher premium rates because of intense work-related stress and lengthy work days. On the other hand, careers like professors, athletes and retirees have the lowest average rates.
High insurance claims frequency drives up rates - Insurance companies in New Jersey generally give lower rates to policyholders who do not file claims often. If you tend to file frequent claims, you can pretty much guarantee either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Insurance coverage is designed for claims that you cannot pay yourself.
It's important to know that having more price comparisons will increase your chances of finding a lower rate.
The providers in the list below are our best choices to provide price comparisons in New Jersey. To get cheap auto insurance in New Jersey, it's a good idea that you compare several of them to find the lowest auto insurance rates.
Insurance does more than just protect your car
Despite the potentially high cost of Saturn Astra insurance, insurance serves an important purpose.
- Just about all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means the state requires specific limits of liability insurance if you drive a vehicle. In New Jersey these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a loan, most lenders will stipulate that you have full coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you do not keep the policy in force, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Saturn at a much higher rate and require you to pay for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance protects both your assets and your vehicle. Insurance will pay for medical bills for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance will also pay attorney fees in the event you are sued. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, your policy will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance outweigh the cost, especially when you need to use it. Despite what companies tell you, the average driver overpays as much as $820 a year so compare rate quotes every year to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Take advantage of these discounts on Saturn Astra insurance in Jersey City
Car insurance is not cheap, but companies offer discounts that may help make it more affordable. Some discounts will apply when you quote, but a few must be specifically requested before they will apply.
- Defensive Driving Course - Completing a safe driver course is a good idea and can lower rates and make you a better driver.
- Student Driver Training - It's a good idea to have your young drivers enroll and complete driver's education as it will make them better drivers and lower rates.
- Use Seat Belts - Buckling up and requiring all passengers to buckle their seat belts could cut 10% or more off the medical payments premium.
- Discount for Multiple Policies - If you combine your auto and home policies with the same insurance company you may save 10% to 20% off each policy.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount - Cars with ABS braking systems or traction control can avoid accidents and will save you 10% or more on Astra insurance in Jersey City.
- Life Insurance - Companies who offer life insurance give lower prices if you buy some life insurance too.
Just know that some of the credits will not apply to the whole policy. Most only apply to specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. Even though it may seem like all the discounts add up to a free policy, insurance companies wouldn't stay in business.
Large insurance companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are included below.
- State Farm offers discounts including safe vehicle, Steer Clear safe driver discount, student away at school, good driver, passive restraint, Drive Safe & Save, and multiple autos.
- American Family may have discounts that include TimeAway discount, mySafetyValet, early bird, air bags, multi-vehicle, and good student.
- AAA discounts include education and occupation, good student, multi-policy, good driver, and pay-in-full.
- GEICO offers discounts for driver training, air bags, five-year accident-free, emergency military deployment, daytime running lights, and good student.
- Mercury Insurance has discounts for multi-policy, annual mileage, age of vehicle, ease of repair, type of vehicle, and good driver.
- Farmers Insurance has savings for youthful driver, distant student, business and professional, alternative fuel, teen driver, switch companies, and mature driver.
- Progressive offers premium reductions for multi-policy, multi-vehicle, continuous coverage, homeowner, good student, online signing, and online quote discount.
It's a good idea to ask every company which credits you are entitled to. All car insurance discounts may not apply in your state. To see a list of insurers that offer multiple discounts in New Jersey, click here.
Can't I compare rate quotes from local Jersey City car insurance agents?
A lot of people just want to sit down with an agent and that can be a smart move The biggest benefit of price shopping on the web is the fact that drivers can get lower rates and still choose a local agent.
After filling out this short form, your insurance data is immediately sent to participating agents in Jersey City who will return price quotes for your business. You never need to visit any agencies because prices are sent directly to your email. You can get cheaper car insurance rates and a licensed agent to talk to. In the event you want to get a price quote from a specific insurance company, feel free to go to their quote page to submit a rate quote request.
Selecting an insurer is decision based upon more than just the price. These are some questions your agent should answer.
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
- Do they offer claims assistance after hours?
- Is there a Errors and Omissions policy in force?
- Do they reduce claim amounts on high mileage vehicles?
- Is there a local claims center in Jersey City?
- How long has the business existed?
- Can you choose the body shop in case repairs are needed?
- Are there any hidden costs in their price quote and does it include driving and credit history?
Choose the right car insurance agent
If you are wanting to purchase car insurance from a local Jersey City insurance agency, you must know there are a couple different types of agencies and how they work. Jersey City agents are classified as either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agents
Exclusive insurance agents work for only one company and examples are Allstate, AAA, Farmers Insurance, and State Farm. These agents are not able to compare rates from other companies so it's a take it or leave it situation. Exclusive agencies are well schooled on their company's products which helps offset the inability to provide other markets.
Listed below is a short list of exclusive insurance agents in Jersey City that can give you rate quotes.
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent insurance agents are not restricted to one company so they can quote policies through many different car insurance companies and find you the best rates. If your agent finds better pricing, the business is moved internally and you won't have to switch agencies.
If you need lower rates, you will definitely want to get quotes from a few independent agents for the best price selection.
Shown below is a list of independent insurance agencies in Jersey City who can help you get price quote information.
Sam's Insurance and Travel
3396 John F. Kennedy Blvd - Jersey City, NJ 07307 - (201) 659-6800 - View Map
370 Pacific Ave - Jersey City, NJ 07304 - (201) 209-0065 - View Map
Best car insurance in Jersey City
Choosing the highest-rated company can be a challenge considering how many different companies sell coverage in New Jersey. The company rank data displayed below can help you choose which insurers you want to consider comparing rate quotes with.
Top 10 Jersey City Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Satisfaction
- The Hartford - 93%
- Progressive - 90%
- 21st Century - 89%
- USAA - 87%
- Mercury Insurance - 87%
- State Farm - 87%
- Travelers - 87%
- Safeco Insurance - 86%
- AAA Insurance - 86%
- American Family - 85%
Top 10 Jersey City Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Service
- Mercury Insurance
- The Hartford
- American Family
- State Farm
- Farmers Insurance
More comparisons equals affordable rates
In this article, we presented many ways to shop for Saturn Astra insurance online. The most important thing to understand is the more price quotes you have, the better chance you'll have of finding low cost Jersey City auto insurance quotes. You may even be surprised to find that the biggest savings come from the smaller companies. Some small companies may cover specific market segments cheaper as compared to the big name companies such as GEICO and State Farm.
While you're price shopping online, it's very important that you do not buy less coverage just to save a little money. There have been many situations where drivers have reduced full coverage only to discover later that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. The proper strategy is to find the BEST coverage at the best price, not the least amount of coverage.
More information can be found at the links below
- Older Drivers FAQ (iihs.org)
- How Much is Jersey City Auto Insurance for High School Students? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Jersey City Car Insurance Quotes for Nurses? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Rates for Safe Drivers in Jersey City? (FAQ)
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- Uninsured Motorist Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Auto Theft Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Red Light Cameras (State Farm)