Honda HR-V insurance image courtesy of QuoteInspector.com
Are you sick and tired of paying out the nose each month for auto insurance? You have the same problem as many other New Jersey drivers.
A recent auto insurance study revealed that a large majority of auto insurance policyholders have stayed with the same insurance company for at least four years, and approximately 38% of consumers have never even shopped around for cheaper coverage. With the average auto insurance premium being $2,000, New Jersey drivers could save up to $720 a year by just shopping around, but they feel it's too difficult to shop their coverage around.
Popular companies such as Progressive, State Farm and GEICO continually bombard you with ads and consumers find it hard to avoid their marketing magic and do the work needed to find the best deal.
Just keep in mind that having more price comparisons will increase your chances of finding more affordable insurance. Some companies don't provide online price quotes, so you need to compare quotes from those companies as well.
The following companies have been selected to offer free rate quotes in Jersey City, NJ. If multiple companies are listed, we suggest you get price quotes from several of them to find the most affordable car insurance rates.
You may qualify for discounts for Honda HR-V insurance in Jersey City
Car insurance can cost a lot, but companies offer discounts that may help make it more affordable. Certain credits will be shown at the time of quoting, but some may not be applied and must be manually applied prior to getting the savings. If you aren't receiving every discount you deserve, you could be saving more on your auto insurance.
- Smart Student Discounts - Excelling in school may save as much as 25% on a Jersey City car insurance quote. Most companies allow this discount up to age 25.
- Student in College - Kids living away from Jersey City attending college and leave their car at home may be able to be covered for less.
- Senior Discount - Seniors may be able to get lower premium rates.
- Drivers Education - Require your teen driver to successfully complete driver's ed class in high school.
- Paperless Signup - Certain companies will give you a small discount for buying your policy on the internet.
- Pay Upfront and Save - If you pay your bill all at once instead of monthly or quarterly installments you can avoid monthly service charges.
- Savings for New Vehicles - Buying a new car instead of a used HR-V can cost up to 25% less because new model year vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Discounts for Responsible Drivers - Safe drivers could pay up to 40% less than drivers with accidents.
One thing to note about discounts is that some of the credits will not apply to the entire cost. Most only cut the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. Even though the math looks like adding up those discounts means a free policy, that's just not realistic. Any amount of discount will lower your policy premium.
For a list of providers who offer online Honda HR-V insurance quotes in Jersey City, click this link.
Car insurance is an important decision
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Honda HR-V in Jersey City, paying for car insurance may be required for several reasons.
- The majority of states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means it is punishable by state law to not carry specific minimum amounts of liability coverage if you drive a vehicle. In New Jersey these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your HR-V has a loan, more than likely the lender will have a requirement that you have physical damage coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you let the policy lapse, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Honda at a significantly higher premium and force you to pay the higher price.
- Insurance safeguards your Honda and your assets. It will also provide coverage for many types of medical costs for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability insurance also covers legal expenses in the event you are sued. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, collision and comprehensive coverages will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of having insurance outweigh the cost, especially with large liability claims. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer overpays as much as $810 a year so you should quote your policy with other companies at least once a year to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Buying from insurance agents
A lot of people would prefer to buy from a licensed agent and that is just fine! The best thing about getting free rate quotes online is you can get cheap auto insurance quotes but still work with a licensed agent.
After filling out this simple form, the coverage information is sent to agents in your area that give free quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. There is no reason to find an agent since rate quotes are delivered to you. It's the lowest rates without a big time investment. If you wish to compare rates from one company in particular, you would need to jump over to their website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Finding the right provider is decision based upon more than just the premium amount. Some important questions to ask are:
- Is there a local claims center in Jersey City?
- How many companies do they write for?
- Does the agency provide any after hours assistance?
- What are their preferred companies if they are an independent agency?
- Are they giving you every discount you deserve?
- Will you work with the agent or an assistant?
- How many years have they been established?
- How much can you save by raising your physical damage deductibles?
Do you need an independent or exclusive car insurance agent?
If you want to buy auto insurance from a local insurance agency, you need to know there are two types of agencies and how they differ in how they quote coverages. Jersey City agents can either be exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agents
Exclusive insurance agents normally can only provide a single company's rates and some examples include AAA, Allstate, State Farm, or Farmers Insurance. They are unable to give you multiple price quotes so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Exclusive agents are well trained on sales techniques which can be an advantage.
Listed below are exclusive agents in Jersey City willing to provide comparison quotes.
Agents that elect to be independent can sell policies from many different companies and that gives them the ability to insure with lots of companies depending on which coverage is best. If your agent finds better pricing, they simply move your policy to a different company and you can keep the same agent. When comparing rate quotes, you need to include price quotes from several independent agencies in order to have the best price comparison.
Below is a short list of independent agencies in Jersey City that are able to give price quote information.
AMC Insurance Inc
958 Summit Ave - Jersey City, NJ 07307 - (201) 656-1200 - View Map
582 West Side Ave - Jersey City, NJ 07304 - (201) 209-1306 - View Map
Car insurance coverages and their meanings
Knowing the specifics of car insurance can be of help when determining the best coverages for your vehicles. The terms used in a policy can be impossible to understand and coverage can change by endorsement. Below you'll find typical coverage types available from car insurance companies.
Comprehensive insurance coverage will pay to fix damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You first have to pay a deductible and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against claims such as hail damage, vandalism, rock chips in glass, a tree branch falling on your vehicle and falling objects. The maximum amount you'll receive from a claim is the cash value of the vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much it's not worth carrying full coverage.
Uninsured or underinsured coverage
This protects you and your vehicle's occupants from other drivers when they either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. This coverage pays for injuries to you and your family as well as damage to your Honda HR-V.
Due to the fact that many New Jersey drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits (15/30/5 in New Jersey), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. That's why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is important protection for you and your family.
Medical expense coverage
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP reimburse you for immediate expenses for things like nursing services, chiropractic care and EMT expenses. The coverages can be used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance plan or if you are not covered by health insurance. Medical payments and PIP cover not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants and also covers being hit by a car walking across the street. Personal Injury Protection is not available in all states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Collision insurance will pay to fix damage to your HR-V resulting from colliding with another car or object. You will need to pay your deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage protects against things such as colliding with a tree, crashing into a building and hitting a mailbox. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so consider dropping it from vehicles that are older. It's also possible to bump up the deductible on your HR-V in order to get cheaper collision rates.
This coverage protects you from damage that occurs to a person or their property by causing an accident. This insurance protects YOU from legal claims by others, and doesn't cover your injuries or vehicle damage.
Liability coverage has three limits: bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You commonly see policy limits of 15/30/5 that means you have $15,000 bodily injury coverage, a limit of $30,000 in injury protection per accident, and a total limit of $5,000 for damage to vehicles and property.
Liability insurance covers things like repair bills for other people's vehicles, court costs, pain and suffering and loss of income. How much liability coverage do you need? That is up to you, but buy higher limits if possible. New Jersey state law requires minimum liability limits of 15/30/5 but it's recommended drivers buy better liability coverage.
The illustration below shows why the minimum limit may not be adequate coverage.